Monday, November 18, 2019

Celebrating Failure


One time this past semester that I failed was on a calculus exam that I had. I had not prepared at all for it. I had underestimated how hard it would really be. So, when it came to the exam, I did not know much of anything and was shocked. I was really disappointed when I got that failing grade.

I learned that you should never underestimate any challenge. I have learned that it is much better to over prepare than under prepare.

I think failure is somewhat embarrassing, but it shows that we are human. I think it somewhat grounds us and humbles us. I usually don’t handle failure very well though because honestly it hasn’t happened to me a lot. I think that this class has taught me that failure is a part of the process when it comes to starting a business. I definitely think that I am more likely to take a risk more now than I was a few months ago because of what I have learned.

4 comments:

  1. It's always better to be over prepared than under prepared because you could be equipped and ready for any challenge that comes your way. I actually get really anxious if I don't study for an exam, so I'm usually prepared. The worse feeling for me is when I think I'm prepared, but I'm actually not. So, I would study really hard for an exam and would still fail. However, that doesn't stop me from getting back up. I agree with you where failure shows that we are human. We aren't perfect, but at least we are persistant and we keep on trying. I also agree with you where there's a lot of risk that comes with a business, but we have to take that risk for a chance of succeeding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you 100% when you say that failure humbles us and grounds us. I think failure is essential in everyone’s life as a natural teaching mechanism. A lot of the lessons that we learn in our lives are taught via our experiences and failure is something which really sticks to our mind because of the emotions we experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Riley, I think that your post describes a situation any person can relate to. No one likes to fail an exam but sometimes it just happens and it can be a pretty awful situation. I think that it is always important to learn from mistakes like that so you can learn how you study the best and be able to succeed in future exams.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I relate to a lot of what you said. I am also embarrassed and humbled when I fail, because I went a long time without really experiencing any personal failures. Hardships I faced were not a direct result of my actions. I was always a straight A student and an athlete and member of multiple honor societies on top of working a full-time job. It was not until the added flexibility of college that I actually experienced failure and I have definitely learned quite a bit from my experiences over the last few years.

    ReplyDelete